I am the inaugural assistant editor of Irish Legal News, the daily news service for lawyers on both sides of the Irish border.
As assistant editor, I have played a key role in developing ILN's readership to total thousands of lawyers and legal professionals across two jurisdictions through networking and a high standard of original, specialist reporting for the legal sector.
On a tight daily deadline, I produce the vast majority of ILN content, which includes news and expert analysis of new legislation and regulations, strategic appointments at law firms, important court rulings, and current affairs, as well as occasional book, film and technology reviews.
I am also responsible for commissioning and editing guest blogs, developing ILN's social media presence, liaising with a courts news agency, and co-ordinating part-time staff members based in Dublin and Belfast.
- Experts back rape trial reform after Cork trial protests (15 Nov 18)
- Irish experts say Kavanaugh appointment will hurt US court’s international reputation (8 Oct 18)
- Leading lawyer hits out at WRC’s ‘third-world service’ and data based on ‘pure fiction’ (6 Jun 18)
- Asylum seekers will not be disadvantaged by failing to meet 20-day deadline (21 Feb 17)
- Lawyers in cross-border call for sex purchase law rethink (13 Jun 16)
- Wisconsin is a warning against Northern Ireland legal aid cuts, says Making a Murderer lawyer (11 Apr 16)
- Irish victims could be forced to use courts to access new EU rights (17 Nov 15)
I regularly contribute news and features to Scottish Legal News, the sister publication to Irish Legal News, and co-present, edit and co-ordinate distribution of the soon-to-be-launched SLN podcast.
As well as contributing less frequently to SLN's non-legal sister publications — Scottish Housing News, Scottish Construction Now and Scottish Financial News — I play a role in developing and implementing the social media strategy and brand design across all publications, as well as proof-reading and editing content.
- Staircase lawyer David Rudolf: Crime shows are holding justice to account (2 Nov 18)
- Review: BlackBerry KEY2 smartphone (5 Oct 18)
- Our Legal Heritage: Maclean’s Speech from the Dock (11 May 18)
- The lawyer who put Hitler in the dock (27 Jan 17)
- Proposed pardons for Scottish gay and bisexual men to have ‘no practical effect’ (26 Oct 16)
From 2016 to 2018, I have attended journalism training events hosted by Google News Labs and the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) throughout Scotland, focussed in particular on new skills and new models of journalism in the digital age.
From 2015 to 2017, I worked as a stringer at various election counts in Dundee for the Press Association and ITN news agencies, covering the 2015 UK General Election, the 2016 EU referendum, the 2017 UK General Election and the 2017 Scottish local elections, often receiving a bonus for prompt and accurate reports.
I formerly managed two popular entertainment blogs, The Targe (2013–2014) and zConnection (2008–2013). I covered a number of events in this role, including Eurogamer Expo in London in 2012, Edinburgh International Film Festival from 2012–2014 and Glasgow Film Festival in 2014. This involved reviewing films and games, conducting face-to-face interviews with filmmakers, actors and game developers, and promoting the blogs at networking events.
I am the co-editor of Bagpipe, the Scottish Mensa newsletter.